Monday, June 18, 2012

38. My "Interesting" Hobbies

  Our church is in the process of updating their picture directory. No big deal. However, along with the picture and address they ask what your hobbies are. Which led to me posting this on Facebook:

  "Tried to figure out my hobbies for the new church picture directory. Went with the simple boring ones, because the "interesting" ones would make me sound more interesting, or at least weirder, than I actually am."

  Of course people then asked what those "interesting" hobbies are, which I knew someone probably would. I figured I'd give a simple answer, but then the more I thought about it, the more I felt the need to explain everything. It's silly. But, also too long for a Facebook post.

  Now, nobody on Facebook seemed to care what I actually put (my "boring" hobbies). It's the same thing I put in the last picture directory.

  Not actually boring to do (most of the time, in my opinion anyway), but a bit boring sounding. They could be elaborated on to make them appear more interesting. (Well, there wasn't a whole lot of room on the form, but assuming we have a whole page to ourselves as in the past, I could have added more on the back.)
Examples I could have put: For writing- Nanowrimo. Or that I prefer to write and read fiction. Or that I usually draw on paper with a pencil, paint with acrylics, draw on myself and write on paper with a pen.

  So, to my hobbies- some of these my blog knows about, some my friends, some maybe just my mom.

     *I have three different handwriting styles, though I generally write in my normal sloppy one.
My handwriting. Not so oddly, when I'm not being sloppy, the print does sometimes resemble my mom's.

I consider this Jil's handwriting, just because I have to label it something. It tends to be rounder and neater.

One of my old coworker's called this my serial killer handwriting.


      I also have a specific calligraphy font I combined together. (Which I used when addressing my sister's wedding invitations.)
Don't have a calligraphy pen with me, it'd look cooler that way.


     *I watch Kdramas. I started mid-May last year and have watched around 30 so far. (For those who worry, Korean TV shows are usually about 16-20 episodes and don't come back the next year. Plus, I'm not quite as addicted as I used to be.) There's quite a few on Hulu, but I usually watch them on DramaFever.
  I like watching TV or movies with subtitles on, even if the show is in English. I hate to miss anything.


     *Ealon. I have my own code language. It's been in process since around 5th grade. I added a second layer of rules in college to make it a bit harder. I write notes in it all the time, most of the time in cursive, but I have a ... font... for it too.
Ealon
The name of the code doesn't actually mean anything in the code , but to explain it would give a hint to uncoding things.


     *As the friend taking the photos for the directory put it when we were talking about what to write down- "How about "body art?" I'm sure that would make people wonder. No, I'm not into tattoos and piercings.
  I usually call it a bad habit, but I draw on myself when my hands get bored. Most often designs like the flower/snowflake at the top of the blog. [Edit: removed, maybe I'll add it here later] Other times flowers like in this picture.


  Either that or I scribble on paper. It feels very satisfying until the end when I realize there is still no picture. :(




  That's it for the big strange ones, but here's a few that are more random, less common, more habit than hobby:

     *Is hugging a hobby?

     *Rearranging my room? (For example.)

     *I redecorate people's houses in my mind.

     *Not so often anymore, but especially back in high school I'd make up clothing designs from things I found in the room. (I'm housesitting, but maybe I'll add a pic when I get back home.)

     *I make up pie recipes. Sadly, I kind of just throw ingredients together, so I can't ever make them exactly the same again. (And I much prefer baking over cooking.)

Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Pie for Easter

     *I used to walk in circles around the college quad when I got bored. Most of my exercise is still walking. I miss having a good place to walk in circles.

     *My fingers have a left over habit of finger-spelling everything from when I took ASL. I'll find myself finger-spelling to songs in church, conversations I'm listening to, and even sometimes with the subtitles on kdramas. I'm most likely to sign along to songs while I'm driving, but I don't know enough words. (If I was any good at conversations I'd probably learn more ASL. Actually, I'd probably learn more languages. They're interesting. But what's the use in learning them if I'm not going to use them anyway?")

     *Now that I finally have a camera again, photography is fun.
A picture!
Of a squirrel, at the park, if you couldn't figure that out.

     *Occasionally, I'll crochet, knit, or sew something.

     *I wrote lots of song lyrics while vacuuming in college. I'd just sing to myself and if I caught a line I liked, I'd sing it over and over 'til I could write it down. It's kind of weird to have songs you made up yourself stuck in your head.

     *I like cataloging my books. I usually keep my books in alphabetical order (sometimes divided by type, depending on how my bookshelves are arranged that the moment.) I tried to keep a card file of all the books I had while growing up; it didn't work as well as I wanted. Now days I use LibraryThing. You can see what books I own (and some I've read) here.

I think part of what makes one feel boring, in spite of such "interesting" hobbies, is not sharing them with anyone.

  I mean, nobody really wants to hear about my favorite Kdramas and I'm not opinionated enough to say which books I like best and why. And, as you may have noticed, all of my hobbies can be done by myself.
  If only I could get paid for writing notes only I can read or for scribbling...

  Anyhow, for those who haven't noticed yet, I have a blog just to prove how uninteresting I really am by trying to point out the "interesting" parts of me. Maybe I'm afraid people will expect me to be interesting all of the time if I show I might actually be interesting some of the time.

  I'm thankful people don't usually think I'm as boring as I feel I am

What are your hobbies and which ones do you normally not tell people about because they are hard to explain or you worry people will think you're strange? 

3 comments:

  1. I Love Your Blog! Thank you for sharing YOU! Hugs and Love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you're not nearly as boring as I thought you were. (THAT'S SARCASTIC!!!) But really... wow! You do cool stuff. Now that you're out of the closet about your graphic design capabilities or organizational habits, someone at church is going to sign you up for working in the library or cataloging all the leftover Sunday School Curriculum (or designing a decent bulletin board for the snack table area!). Loved reading your blog. :) --Lissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments!
    Bonnie- *Hugs*!
    Lissa- Maybe that's a good reason for me to put the "boring" hobbies in the directory?

    ReplyDelete