Friday, August 8, 2008

17. Pens and Time Travel

I realized the other day that I couldn't go back in time. I'd go crazy!
I need my pens!
The smooth slide across paper (I couldn't do without paper either!)... there is something so satisfying about it, even if I have nothing to write. (There is oddly somewhat of the same satisfying feeling when typing.)
I imagined standing back in time (not sure when, my imagination is a little fuzzy in the history department) and needing to sign something. So I pull my pen out of my back pocket (why the fact that wearing jeans would stand out didn't cross my mind?) and they would ask (A lady and her 13 year old son and 16 year old daughter, and maybe a couple smaller children, the details weren't that clear) "What on earth is that?" And I would say a pen and reach out to write.
The paper would be pulled away and I'd end up drawing on my hand to show it was really just a pen. This would of course make them even more horrified (the father joining the group at this point.)
So, I would give in and put my pen away before it was stolen and burned and I couldn't have it anymore.
Then I'd turn the quill in several directions and have to ask how to use it. At which "mother" would shake her head and "brother" would laugh and "sister" would think I'm stupid.
After I finally slaughter my writing, cringing all the while at the scratch of the quill on the paper, they would all laugh at my abysmal penmanship which isn't really that bad.... I can read it fine anyway.
Anyhow... my favorite pen at the moment is Pilot Precise Grip (bold). They carried them at Walmart until a couple weeks ago. Argh! At least other stores still sell them. I admit, my favorite part about them (and my friend Frankie's too) is that they write really well on skin and it can take a while to wash off.
My cousin gave me one of her favorite pens, Staedtler liquid point 7 is what it says, dunno where she buys them. They don't write on skin well :( , but they are one of the least scratchy fine point pens I've used.
Pilot precise V7 is pretty good, though extra fine is too scratchy and you have to go to certain stores to get the fine tip.
But, there are lots of other good options out there. If you care about pens, I happened across these review sites: http://penaddiction.blogspot.com/ , http://www.penreview.com/ , and http://penquest.wordpress.com/ .

2 comments:

  1. I have several pens, I think 16. Each one is from a drug representative so there is a drug name labeled on the pens. All the new drugs from year I have a pen from each. It will take years before they are all empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more than 16 pens... too many to count. The problem with free pens is most of the time they are ball point pens. I don't like ball point pens, unless it's for writing on something that you need not to smear. I like rolling ball pens, they write soooo much smoother.

    ReplyDelete